PROPANE: The Single-Fuel Solution for Your Home
A recent survey found that while propane customers have exceptionally high levels of satisfaction, most don’t realize all the ways propane can enhance their comfort, save them money and fuel their lifestyle. Think of propane as the single-fuel solution for your home!
5 key propane benefits
- Clean and green — Propane emits far less greenhouse gas than most other energy sources. Because of the clean-burning characteristics of propane, little maintenance is required.
- Cost-effective — Propane appliances can be less expensive to operate than comparable electric appliances, and they last longer too!
- Safe — The National Fire Protection Association enforces strict rules about the handling of propane, so few accidents occur each year. Every propane appliance is made with safety shutoffs, and most appliances are equipped with electronic ignition systems to give you years of trouble-free operation.
- Efficient — Propane appliances typically reduce energy costs, delivering better value and comfort than other heating sources. Today’s propane furnaces are now as much as 98% efficient.
- Flexible installations — Propane tanks can be installed just about anywhere, above or below ground. Additionally, propane water heaters take up less space, have more accurate temperature adjustment and offer more size and installation options.
yes, propane can do that too!
Propane is safe, efficient and clean burning, and most of it is produced right here in the U.S. Use this versatile fuel to:
Heat water: propane water heaters can cost less to operate than electric units. They provide much more hot water faster, and come in both storage tank and tankless options.
Heat your home: propane-fired furnaces and boilers are a lot more efficient and generate greater comfort than electricity. And by buying more, you may qualify for a lower price.
Cook: propane ovens and stoves offer more precise temperature control and are cheaper to run than their electric counterparts.
Put a glow in your fireplace: imagine being able to start a fire with the flick of a switch. It’s possible with propane — and a propane fireplace delivers more heat into the room than a wood fireplace.
Dry clothes: propane dryers are almost twice as efficient as electric models.
Supply emergency power: propane is a popular choice as a fuel for whole-house backup generators. And since your fuel is stored right on your property, you can continue to enjoy all of the comforts of home until your power is restored.
propane power vs. electric power
CLEANER than electricity
Because propane is nontoxic and doesn’t pose a threat to soil and water, (above or below ground), it is not regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency.
The average propane-powered home reduces carbon dioxide emissions by nearly 30% compared with all-electric homes.
Direct use of propane for space heating, water heating, cooking and drying clothes reduces greenhouse gas emissions up to 50%.
MORE EFFICIENT than electricity
Propane is more efficient than electricity when evaluating the total energy consumed (this includes the energy used in the extraction, production, processing and transportation of the fuel to the point of use).
Most high-efficiency propane furnaces feature two-stage gas burners and variablespeed motors to deliver all the warm air you need. That’s why, on the coldest of nights, propane-heated homes are much warmer than those that rely solely on electric heat.
Sources: National Propane Gas Association; Propane Education & Research Council.
what’s so hot about propane water heaters?
Propane water heaters cost much less to operate than electric heaters, with a hot water recovery rate that’s about twice as fast as electric models, which means there’s little chance of running out of hot water!
Choose an efficient propane water heating system over a standard — and inefficient — electric water heater and you can reduce your energy costs substantially.
Source: American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, 2015