Propane Safety Tips
Refiners add an unpleasant ‘rotten egg’ smell to propane to alert you to leaks. So what should you do if you smell propane? Here are some tips:
- Extinguish any flames and do not use lights, appliances or telephones.
- Leave the area immediately.
- Turn off the main supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so.
- Call Allied and the local fire department from a neighbor’s home or from a safe distance.
- Don’t return to the site of the gas leak until you are told it is safe to do so.
- Don’t use any propane appliances until we have done a complete check of your entire system to ensure that there are no leaks.