Forklift Propane Tank Storage Solutions
It’s not at all uncommon for a commercial business to use a forklift to execute day-to-day operations. The industrial piece of equipment is used on farms, construction sites and in warehouses.
Oftentimes, forklifts are fueled by propane, which happens to be one of the most powerful, versatile and efficient fuel sources.
When you choose to use propane to power machinery and appliances, you will need propane tanks. And if you need propane tanks, you will need a storage solution for these tanks. Let’s explore the different options for storing forklift propane tanks.
Where To Store Propane Tanks
Even though propane is a very safe fuel, there are certain safety precautions that should be taken when storing propane tanks. It is safe to store the tanks either inside or outside. However, propane tanks should not block a building’s stairways or exits, as that would prevent people from being able to evacuate in the event of an emergency. Tanks should also be stored in a place where the chances of them leaking are relatively low and there should be a fire extinguisher nearby at all times.
When storing propane tanks outside, which is actually safer than storing them indoors, it is important that they are not exposed to heat and high temperatures and that they are far from any ignition sources.
Propane tanks that are stored inside should be kept in well-ventilated areas and at a safe distance from materials that are combustible.
Propane Tank Storage Options
For added protection and to avoid any major accidents or injuries, propane tanks, including those for forklifts, can be stored in steel cabinets or cages specifically made for propane tanks. These cabinets and cages help prevent the tanks from getting knocked over, leaking and rupturing.
Many of the cages out there on the market that are made for forklift propane tank storage keep the tanks horizontal, which is how the tanks are placed on a forklift when they are in use. This is the safest position for the tanks to be in.
Why Choose Propane?
There are numerous reasons why commercial businesses are choosing to use propane. Here are some of the benefits of using propane:
- It’s safe: The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has implemented strict codes and standards when it comes to using propane. Additionally, technicians who install and service the fuel need to be trained through the Certified Employee Training Program.
- It’s environmentally friendly: When you use propane, you produce less greenhouse gas emissions than you do when using electricity, which means that propane takes up less of a carbon footprint than electrical appliances. Additionally, if propane spills it’s not harmful to any surrounding soil, plants or water.
- It’s efficient: Appliances that are powered by propane are highly efficient. In fact, they are usually more efficient than electric versions of the same appliances.
- It’s versatile: Propane can be used to power a wide variety of things, including forklifts, heaters, cooking ranges, fireplaces and clothes dryers.
- It’s cost effective: Propane is cheaper than both gas and diesel fuel.
You Can Rely On Allied Propane
If you are in the Northern California area and need reliable propane deliveries for your home or business, Allied Propane can help. Contact us today to learn more about our residential and commercial propane tank installation, deliveries and services!